[LRflex] Re: Hand Baggage - Just Back from Heathrow.....!

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2006 18:41:48 -0700

Hi David:
Thanks for your responses copied below and GLAD to be back ;-) !
Received my CDROM's and index prints yesterday and they look "just
fine"......so far.....on the thumbnail images of the index prints.  It
looks positively reassuring that the checked-in baggage X-ray machines
spared the fogging of my 5 rolls of film.  Over this coming weekend, I
hope to post some shots on the web and will share link(s) on this
list.

About flying from CDG Paris to US destinations, I heard from my friend
whose mother came from CDG Aeroport this Monday that she experienced a
3-hour delay and her recount of the security regimen sounded the same
as what I saw at Heathrow, along with plastic bag only carry-on's.

Today, I had business visitors from Narita-Tokyo and they too reported
the same security regimen.  This begs the question - has terrorism
already won the preliminary play-off's?  I can tell you that any
finale will not be a pretty spectator sport.

It ain't Christmas yet, but here's wishing us all "Peace on Earth",
Eric Chan
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:23:55 -0700
From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Hand Baggage - Just Back from Heathrow.....!

Eric Chan wrote:

>I just came back from Heathrow this evening.

Glad you got back, easily and safely!

>I was lucky to breeze through the entire process without a hitch, with
>the laptop computer + Leica R7 and films checked into the hold.  I
>shot 1 roll Ilford XP2 B&W film as well as 2 rolls Kodak Ultracolor
>Pro and 2 rolls Fuji 200 Color films.

I take it this was unprocessed film?  If so, I hope your photos are
OK.  The baggage X-ray machines used for checked luggage are easily
100x more powerful that the small scanners used at the security check
ins.  They have a reputation for 100% fogging of undeveloped film in
a single pass.

Please let us know how they turn out. (And I hope the answer is "Just fine"!)

>If you have to go to England soon, why not fly to CDG Paris then take
>the EuroStar highspeed train via the "chunnel" to avoid all the hassle
>at British airports?

A nice idea, if you haven't already purchased non-refundable tickets
to go via England!

Limited Edition Prints at: http://www.telyt.com/
Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt