[LRflex] Re: Gross Stupidity?

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 14:03:55 -0800

Douglas Herr wrote:

>  I'm looking forward to seeing your pictures with this rig.  Have you had
> your R8 DMR certified?

Hi Doug!

Yes, I'm looking forward to photos from the rig, too!

As for having the R8 'certified'... well, yes and no.  (Although you
could probably have me "certified"!)

Old timers on this list may remember that when the R8 was 3 days old,
the (non factory) strap failed, and my nice, shiny, new R8 fell from my
shoulder to the concrete sidewalk. (Ouch!)  It was a bit smashed up and
went back to Leica under their "passport" warranty.  While it was there,
it was supposedly 're-done', with new electronics (It is an early
production German unit) and the "incompatibility" with the motor winder
and DM-R was cured at that time.

Later, when Joseph Yao was visiting Victoria, a bunch of us got together
at Ted Grant's place, where Joseph examined the camera. If you know what
you're looking for, you can tell from the exterior placement of the
bottom contacts; and he said it had all been done. Certainly, I've had
no problem with the motor-winder, which I've used for some years now.
And it is that which usually shows the problems.

If something doesn't work, you'll hear about it!  ;-)

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt
Leica Reflex Forum web-page: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/lrflex.htm