[LRflex] Re: Got a better method?

  • From: "William B. Abbott III" <captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 22:20:19 -0700

David,

That's the best on the fly (or on the bee, to be more precise) that I've ever seen.

Quit while you are ahead, I'd say.

Best,

Bill

On Jun 3, 2009, at 7:28 PM, David Young wrote:

Fellow Flexers:

Today, my Crab Apple Tree was filled with blossoms and bees. In 31.8 degree heat (that's about 89 in the USA), it seemed a good idea to try to photograph the bees.... but it's not as easy as it seems!

I used my Oly E3, with Leica's 80~200/f4 Vario, and the Nikon 6T dual element Achromat (similar to an Elpro) to get close enough. Of course, with this type of rig, you don't focus, you simply move the camera back and forth, until what you want comes into focus.

The problem is that they move so fast, staying on one particular flower for often no more than 1 or 2 seconds. So, by the time you spot one land, move in, get focused and fire, they're usually gone! And, of course, standing on uneven ground often means you shift your position (or the bee moves) between the time the mind says "fire!" and the camera does the same.

My best, of, perhaps, 60+ tries, is here:

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/B.htm

Has anyone here got a better system for making such photos? I'm frustrated!

C&C welcomed, as always.

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net