[LRflex] Re: Good Photographers -&- Bad Lenses

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:50:37 -0800 (PST)

Hi Doug,
   I would have to say that A) The Pancolar is a Legendary Lens and B) Earned
that Status based on Merit. Please note that it took a Summicron Fifty for it
to get tossed under the bus, so to speak. I personally have seen a Kodaachrome
taken with a Pancolar fifty projected to the size of a Billboard that postively
dripped with stunning optical goodness. I sought out a Pancolar to use on my
EOS 620 film camera years ago for a reason. :-)
  Part of the reason for the lenses' mystique is the low price point they were
sold at. One could pay a pauper's price for one and it would reasonably compete
with lenses that cost princely sums of money. The Pancolar design does have
notable challenges shooting wide open, it's bokeh easily becomes unpleasant,
and their build quality, while 'German' and all metal it still remains
distinctly East German. My example arrived on a Praktica Body from europe via
eBay and the lens worked for exactly a day. Had to have it rebuilt by my local
guy for twice what I paid for it. Worth it, but disappointing.
   Conversely, I've grown to love shooting in low light, with wide apertures,
as I play up the relationships between in focus and out. The Pancolar just
isn't a lens meant for that kind of imagemaking, at least not anywhere as well
as my Summicron or my Elmarit perform in the same situations. Stopped down, a
Pancolar plays with the Big Boys but it's not the lens for me. I've loved my,
swore by mine, but as I changed as a photographer it just wasn't performing the
way I needed it to.

Richard

Be Nice To Your Children!
They Will Be Choosing