[LRflex] Good Photographers -&- Bad Lenses

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:49:38 -0800 (PST)

Ol'a Group,
   I was reading & rereading some of the equipment reviews over on "Luminous
Landscape" - a wonderful collection of souls who do what they do and write what
they write quite well, well worth a look. A line I read there just keeps coming
back to me again and again. IIRC It was part of a review of the Sony A900 Full
Frame dSLR and in regard to it's imaging quality versus the other full framer
cameras it's up against. He wrote:
"Ultimately, we're all just arguing over the price of Champagne in the Promised
Land. They're all great."

  Along this line of thinking, let me present a couple of images from a lens
I've grown to despise. It's an M42 mount Zeiss Pancolar 50mm f1.8 and it's been
cast aside to serve as my 'lens lecture' prop. :-) I found these a few days ago
I was adding images to flickr and I found some very nice ones I've taken with
my 'despicable' Pancolar. Really made me think about my switch to the Summicron
Fifty having been done for specific gains and specific benefits over what the
Pancolar fifty was giving me. It was NOT because the zeiss was giving nothing
of value.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2782/4357969832_c452330ea5.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2793/4357221843_1ebd7c95ce_b.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2729/4357219797_25ff0246e8_b.jpg
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/4357964956_7a5277e8cd_b.jpg

These all gave me GORGEOUS 8x10's.
As long as my craft is as sound as it is in these images, shooting them with a
Summi Fifty would be better, but it won't make these worse.

Anyway

Peace everyone

Richard

Be Nice To Your Children!