[LRflex] Re: Getting the facts straight.

  • From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 17:50:27 -0700 (PDT)

Bille
My most humble apoligies for my error in credits(the noodle is soaking as I
write). Yes you are correct this list is what it is because of its members.. I
know many of us are lurkers, some out of necessity(damned work keeps getting in
the way) and others for the oppertunity to learn from some of the best shooters
out there. And then there is also the ultimate learning lesson from Dr. Ted.
His critiques and comments are saved in a seperate folder for future reference.
We are fortunate to have such a diverse and skilled group together.
As for Leica, if there are only a couple of thousand R-shooters out there, and
the rest are mere collectors it is a pity. I actually had hoped that Leica
would get away from producing dust collecting shelf cameras  and put out a
camera that people would want to use. It could start with a very basic hybred
R9 nothing fancy and let the word spread. I take that back- they would have to
produce a camera with all the bells, whistles and buttons, because most of the
media has convinced the current breed of photographers out there that they
need the gizmos to produce an acceptable picture
Sad what we have digressed to.
Oh well so much for my rant, my noodle is done soaking, and I shall have SWMBO
give me my 20 lashes.

------  >--
Regards
YXAndy

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 19:53:36 -0700
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Getting the facts straight.

Philippe wrote:

Ok 999 is a sad day for many - yet,  at least Leica, in spite of its multiple
failures, have managed to get us together online and share pictures, and
friendly and gay banter - this is one major achievement to my eyes, bigger than
any other, to my eyes, only?
To which Andy commented:

Let's get our facts right David Young brought us together on this list not
Leica:-) and for that I thank him. Lets face it we all love our R glass but it
is the skill of the user that really defines great pictures. I feel privilaged
to be in the company of this list.
To which Bill said:

To be frank, my wildest dream for R lens continuity is a DMR-2,  created from
the M9 technology, smaller, lighter, better in almost  every respect than the
original DMR.

Bill, Andy &  Philippe:

Now, lets really get our facts right.  It was Xavier who brought me on board,
some years ago, as a co-list-keeper ...but it was he, not I, who got the ball
rolling. I do, however, thank you, Andy, for your kind words.

And, you are right ... it is the skill of the photographer, not the equipment,
that defines great pictures... and there are many talented people on this list,
for which I too, am grateful.

Now as for Leica, something is drastically wrong there. They have a very
dedicated following in the R-users that they have totally ignored --first with
the DMR fiassco, then with the vapor 10 and now with no word on the promise of
something compatible with our glass. Do you really wonder why they are in
trouble and scrambling? How many followers have they lost due to their
missteps. Instead of the x1 p&s couldn't they have taken the startup cash and
converted the R-9 to digital.

As for the R9d, I am with Bill ... the ideal solution would be the DMR-2, which
would eventually become the DMR-3 ... making the body last a long time, and
allowing field upgrading, over time.   I'd even be happy if it had the M8
sensor, so long as it had the IR filter built-in.  This was first suggested (to
my knowledge) by Doug Herr, back in 2006, and I suggested it to Leica (with
full credit to Doug) later that fall.  It would seem that such an idea fell on
deaf ears.

Continuing with the "dedicated following" of R-users, and the lack of a
"solution", to date.  Also back in 2006 I was told, by then president Steven
Lee, that Leica expected there were only about 2000 "active" R users,
world-wide.  The rest of sales, so they thought, went to collectors. How they
came to these conclusions, I have no idea, but they agreed, that it made our
little group the largest single group of R-users, anywhere. :-)

These projections probably explain why they went for the S2, where they were
not in direct competition with Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony, et al..
Competing with higher value cameras, such as the Hassy, where quality rules and
product cycles are longer, makes a lot of sense ... even if it does not provide
a camera for the likes of us.  Whether it was a wise decision, only time will
tell.

Since  my name was mentioned, I would like to take the opportunity to thank
Xavier, who started it all, and who, like many on this list, has become a good
friend.  I also want to thank all who post and all who "lurk"; for without you
all, there would be no LR-flex list.  And that would make me a sad man, indeed.

So, thank you, all.  It is you, not I, that make this list such a great place
to be.

Cheers!

David.

---
David Young
Logan Lake, Canada.

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net
Rodeo Photos: www.galleries.furnfeather.netPersonal Website:
www.main.furnfeather.net

Share your memories online with anyone you want anyone you want.