[LRflex] Re: Getting the facts straight.

  • From: Philippe Amard <philippe.amard@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:59:16 +0200

Bille Xavier F. wrote:

David, all
In fact, we with David, started the project, what this ist has become is the result of valued members.

This is coming full circle Xavier - I repeat, Leica's greatest achievment is to have brought strangers such as you, David, others, me, together, well you sure helped a lot, both David and you , for the better, and never for the worst.

Digilux 3 - don't bother about this , the gear is fine and reliable - the counter on my (second) L1 clocks 12960 tonight (the forst one had an issue with the lens after over 10,000 shots ...) and I bet the beast still has some juice to be squeezed out.

The X1 is a gimmick compared to the versatility of the Dig 3 - most unfortunately - and at what price ?!!!

As to an R 9.2 diesel, I'll have sold my holy Oly glass before it comes out - so many promises , so many expectations, sorry to have to write this, really sorry. If Leica's solution for R users is to resurect the Visoflex for the M9 then that's ...

Amitiés cher Xavier.
PHilippe

Just my 0..02 €
Have you seen? the Digilux 3 has disappeared from the French Leica Site. This product is out........ Cheers.

---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 19:53:36 -0700
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Getting the facts straight.

Philippe wrote:

    Ok 999 is a sad day for many - yet,  at least Leica, in spite of
    its multiple failures, have managed to get us together online and
    share pictures, and friendly and gay banter - this is one major
    achievement to my eyes, bigger than any other, to my eyes, only?

To which Andy commented:

    Let's get our facts right David Young brought us together on this
    list not Leica:-) and for that I thank him. Lets face it we all
    love our R glass but it is the skill of the user that really
    defines great pictures. I feel privilaged to be in the company of
    this list.

To which Bill said:

To be frank, my wildest dream for R lens continuity is a DMR-2, created from the M9 technology, smaller, lighter, better in
    almost  every respect than the original DMR.

Bill, Andy &  Philippe:

Now, lets really get our facts right. It was Xavier who brought me on board, some years ago, as a co-list-keeper ...but it was he, not I, who got the ball rolling. I do, however, thank you, Andy, for your kind words.

And, you are right ... it is the skill of the photographer, not the equipment, that defines great pictures... and there are many talented people on this list, for which I too, am grateful.

    Now as for Leica, something is drastically wrong there. They have
    a very dedicated following in the R-users that they have totally
    ignored --first with the DMR fiassco, then with the vapor 10 and
    now with no word on the promise of something compatible with our
    glass. Do you really wonder why they are in trouble and
    scrambling? How many followers have they lost due to their
    missteps. Instead of the x1 p&s couldn't they have taken the
startup cash and converted the R-9 to digital.

As for the R9d, I am with Bill ... the ideal solution would be the DMR-2, which would eventually become the DMR-3 ... making the body last a long time, and allowing field upgrading, over time. I'd even be happy if it had the M8 sensor, so long as it had the IR filter built-in. This was first suggested (to my knowledge) by Doug Herr, back in 2006, and I suggested it to Leica (with full credit to Doug) later that fall. It would seem that such an idea fell on deaf ears.

Continuing with the "dedicated following" of R-users, and the lack of a "solution", to date. Also back in 2006 I was told, by then president Steven Lee, that Leica expected there were only about 2000 "active" R users, world-wide. The rest of sales, so they thought, went to collectors. How they came to these conclusions, I have no idea, but they agreed, that it made our little group the largest single group of R-users, anywhere. :-) These projections probably explain why they went for the S2, where they were not in direct competition with Nikon, Canon, Pentax, Olympus, Sony, et al. Competing with higher value cameras, such as the Hassy, where quality rules and product cycles are longer, makes a lot of sense ... even if it does not provide a camera for the likes of us. Whether it was a wise decision, only time will tell.

Since my name was mentioned, I would like to take the opportunity to thank Xavier, who started it all, and who, like many on this list, has become a good friend. I also want to thank all who post and all who "lurk"; for without you all, there would be no LR-flex list. And that would make me a sad man, indeed.

So, thank you, all. It is you, not I, that make this list such a great place to be.

Cheers!

David.
---
David Young