[LRFlex] Re: Gallery of the week, Belgium

  • From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 08:37:45 +0000

David,

These Ladies no longer work in the center of Bruges. Rather at home or in small factories around. The activity has decreased.

By the Belfray, there is one shop where almost every day a lady dressed traditional would work as you mention. Explaining to Tourist and showing the children.

I used to rent the flat just above the shop and became familiar with the "Lace Angels", those 3 old girls working each in a day of week.

I have buckets of photos from Bruges, I started to trim a little the archives.

But last WE it was fun to act tourist with a creepy camera covered of brownish leather in front of the Hi techies.

Cheers.
---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRFlex] Re: Gallery of the week, Belgium
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:35:37 -0700

Xavier wrote:

There is one place some 200 miles away from Pris, near the North Sea Coast, in Belgium which is a really lovely town.

Please apologies if you have been presented already with pix of this place: Bruges

Gosh! Your photos brought back many memories of Bruge!

What I didn't see in your photos, Xavier, were the old ladies of the "Bruge Tea and Tatting Society", who - on warm days - used to sit out in the square, trading the latest gossip whilst weaving the most intricate lace over nail filled boards on their laps. These women never looked at their work, but made some of the world's finest hand made lace.

Are they still there? Or has Bruge lace died out?

In your photos, the canals look as lovely as I remember them.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm