[LRflex] Re: Galapagos camera dilemma - was "It's here (Neil)"

  • From: Neil <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Oct 2015 17:41:01 -0400

Hi Flexers,

Sorry about the subject screw-up.

From: David Young<dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Date: Sat, 24 Oct 2015
17:12:11 -0700 Subject: [LRflex] Re: leicareflex Digest V12 #281

I wrote:
My only concern about going the Olympus route is that its 4/3
sensor format "orphans" my Leica lenses. If I went for that, I'd
just use the Olympus lens(es) that you mentioned.

Your Leica lenses work wonderfully, with the 4/3 sensors, via
inexpensive adapters from fleabay.

True, they need stop down metering, but the eVF will compensate, so
the finder stays bright. And focus-peaking aids in focusing.

The above applies to the Sony, as well.

The advantage of the Oly is smaller, lighter lenses. Also, the 4/3
sensor captures only the "sweet spot" of any lens. F'rinstance, the
Telyt 400/6.8 suffers from curvature of field, as all achromats do.
But, you'd never know it on the Oly, 'cause only the best, center
section is used.

I'm sure that the Oly kit is very practical, but for several reasons I'd stick with Oly lenses if I went that route, because of compromises such as losing the Leica lens' full field of view and their not being optimized for digital sensor technology.

Issues such as adapters, stop-down metering and viewfinder brightness are of little concern to me, because those problems are easily handled by digital technology (albeit with some interesting consequences).

I don't know how you are getting to the Galapagos ... if it's by
ship, fine. If by plane, it will depend on the carry-on limits of
the airline(s) involved. An the course of my travels, (29 countries)
I have flown on many, small,3rd world, regional airlines, in aircraft
that carry only 8 to 12 passengers. Such airlines usually have a 5.5
lb (2.5-kilo) or even 2-kilo limit for carry on bags. This can
severely restrict what you can take and is why I developed the
"travel kit" that I have. Experience has shown that in such
situations, smallness of bag will do more for you than actually being
light.

The trip involves both planes and boats. The flights are on major airlines, but the length of the trip and limited cabin space are factors that make me want the smallest camera package with the highest image quality.

The main consideration is the size of the prints that I want to wind up with. I'm unlikely to make larger than 8"x10" prints, simply because I'd have nowhere to keep them. Even though it's possible that I'll wind up with an opportunity for a shot that would make me regret not taking the Rollei, that's out of the question. Fortunately, there are many digital "camera" options that can easily exceed the detail and contrast of the best 8"x10" prints, and on-screen viewing is far less demanding.

So, what I'm really wrestling with is whether to invest in another full kit or one that expands the pieces that I already have with as few compromises as possible. I really appreciate all of the flexers weighing in on this, because it is a once-in-a-lifetime event for us.

Best regards,

Neil