[LRflex] Re: Future R system NOW... LEARNING.

  • From: <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2010 09:06:55 -0700

Axel Collier offered:
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Future R system

> thank you for your honest words. In fact, I agree with everything you say.
> am very much convinced that i will take lessons, some day. <<<<<<<,

Hi Axel,
60 years ago my good wife gave me my first camera, a little Argus A2. A
simple little plastic box somewhat like point & shoots of today. Not quite
that good as it was manual, film, no meter, set everything. :-) That was my
beginning to a 60 year career of assignments around the world, books
published and a life beyond the wildest imaginations of many photographers.
Certainly beyond the dreams of many. I was just lucky.

Now how could this happen? I bought nearly every photo magazine on the rack,
each would have some kind of "assignment suggestion" along with "how to do
it." And I did everyone as they came along. Not like the photo-magazines of
today all glitz, glamour and bull shit in many cases about all the Photoshop
techie crap correcting and fixing on the computer screen what you should've
shot correctly in the first place. If you were a photographer first and not
a techie first!
.
Yep when I say that I always expect rebuttals from the techie crowd, but
rarely from the "Photographer crowd!" ;-)

As far as joining a camera club? Well it depends who the knowledgeable folks
are whether you learn anything or not about "PHOTOGRAPHY FIRST!" . It's a
whole new world out there these days because it's far more about balance
this, set that, tweak the levels, Photoshop like this to correct your
mistakes. etc etc.!

INSTEAD OF..... "How to see and feel what makes a picture! LIGHT and the
magic of how it makes or breaks your photograph! Yep we all have to learn
some basics, just like counting, reading and writing.  However, the most
important thing of all is........ "WHAT DO YOU FEEL IN YOUR GUT AND HEART?
WHAT DO YOU OBSERVE?"  Some folks are born with the magic, some folks
eventually learn and feel it.

Today? Others merely use their eyes to avoid banging into telephone poles
and or kicking over garbage cans!

"It's set this level, colour balance, white balance, setting every dang
thing you can imagine on the camera with a gazillion buttons. But all you
are doing and learning is to become an "ELECTRONIC INSTRUMENT ADJUSTMENT
MANIPULATOR OPERATOR!!" NOT A PHOTOGRAPHER WITH FEELING IT IN YOUR GUT!

Although I'm busier than I should be working on my new medical book project,
certainly at the young age of 82 :-) Here's an offer you might like to think
about?

How be you e-mail me personally, never mind posting to the online crew as
this is personal tutoring.  jpeg size is fine about 5X7 or so and I'll do a
critique explaining the good, bad and ugly and return it to you. Once again
on private e-mail line. You can send any questions you might have also. I
may not get back to you overnight in each case, however as time permits I'll
try to return your offerings as soon as possible.

So there you are and this doesn't happen very often. Over to you.
cheers,
Dr. ted

tedgrantphoto.com