[LRflex] Further thought...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:03:34 -0800

In the early 1960s, Nikon wanted to expand lens sales, they had Mamiya build
the Nikkorex-F.

They wanted a lower-cost platform for their lenses, but didn't want to confuse
the public into
thinking that a Nikkorex was Nikon quality.

Thus, if the Oly-built Leica suggested in my last post were to come about, they
could easily
resurrect the Leicaflex brand, for it.  In this way, it would be similar, yet
different in the
public's eye.

This, from Nikon's own website:

> This NIKKOREX F first appeared in June of 1962 at a price of 39,800-
> Japanese yen, including 50mm f/2 lens. Another camera of the day,
> the Asahi Pentax S3, for example, sold for 34,100- Japanese yen,
> including 55mm f/1.8 lens.
>
> The NIKKOREX F was therefore a little more expensive than the
> Pentax, but much less expensive than the Nikon F with the same 50mm
> f/2 lens, which sold for 67,000- Japanese yen.
> Why did Nippon Kogaku K. K. decide to release such an inexpensive
> SLR camera ?
> The answer was to expand market sales of the Nikkor lenses.

After all, we all know that the money is in the lenses....  and doubling or
tripling of lens sales,
would go a long way to bringing Leica back to life!

Just another two cents worth (and well on my way to a full dollar!)

Cheers!
David.

--
 David Young - Photographer