[LRflex] Re: Fuji X100 'preview' on dpReview

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2011 08:23:49 -0500

Hi Gary,
    I want to chime in with a massive seconding of your comments on
how great it would be if 'Someone' would develop firmware which gives
EVFs a great equivalent to the 'patch' used for focusing with Optical
Rangefinders. Not sure if it would be as good as Sliced Bread (I loves
me some Sandwiches), but adding a manual focus process that's simple,
easy, and intuitive, as a Rangefinder Patch to the EVF's Photographic
Producers are Swept Up With is an Absolute Necessity - and Not just
with 'Leica M' Imitating Digital Cameras.
    Even without a faux RF Patch, I would call their EVF system an
INCREDIBLE Piece of Creative Engineering. If members aren't quite
familiar with what Fuji's Designers shoe-horned into that 'small
space' at the corner of that camera it is well worth a look-n-see.
Their engineering achievement is to blend 3 different viewfinder
technologies in what 'ought' to be a very useful manner. a) A
classical etched frame optical viewfinder with the attendant benefits
those bring for certain types of photography. b) The Optical path for
the Classical VF runs through a Transparent LCD which can be used to
show as much or as little camera info as desired ie:aperture, shutter
speed, iso, histogram, etc which overcomes the challenges of providing
camera info in Optical Viewfinders in an easy and ergonomic fashion.
It's similar to the LCD Technology used as part of the Focusing Mirror
of the EOS 7D SLR. e) The Optical VF becomes a 'true' EVF with the
flip of a Lever which closes a mechanical 'shutter' at the front of
the VF Window and the Transparent LCD is then switched into EVF mode
showing the Live View from the Sensor.
   Whether anyone here wants to buy- own- or try- a Fuji X100 is
completely up to them. People know what they like, need, and want in
the cameras they choose to use. However, I believe that some, part, or
all, of the underlaying technologies that Fuji is Shoe Horning into
the Viewfinder of the X100 are well worth learning about and
monitoring. The head of Sony's Camera Division has already stated that
the replacement for the Full Frame A900/850 will be EVF Based and NOT
a True SLR. He also made general comments about High Grade SLR Optical
Viewfinder Components being a Significant Expense for Manufacturers
and coming up with high grade EVFs being an important way to make high
grade cameras simpler to produce, simpler to design, and easier to
maintain quality controls. Essentially, spoke towards Optical SLR's
Days being numbered, even at the Top Ends of Camera Lines. As
photographic equipment consumers, these viewfinder technologies are
imo something to keep a wary eye upon before they sneak up on ya. :-)
    Note: I haven't said a peep about whether Fuji has achieved a
Functional Execution of their way cool Design. I haven't a clue if
they've pullled it off and those who do have a clue aren't talking,
yet! Well, the fuji engineers are talking a fair bit in the pr
campaign! - but it's being filtered through an ad department so the
caveats there are obvious. All I will say is that the author(s) of the
X100 Preview at dpReview appear to be in full on - teenager in love -
head over heels for the camera.

Sincerely,

Richard in Michigan

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/fujifilmx100/

In physics, you don't have to go around making trouble for yourself -
nature does it for you.
   - Frank Wilczek