[LRflex] Franks Highland Park Camera Store

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 11:15:39 -0800

On my recent trip to LA, we took the Gold Line rail and one of the stops is
in Highland Park.  As I looked out the window I saw painted on a building
Franks Highland Park Camera Store and just had to get off the train and go
see.  It had been perhaps 30 years since I had been there.  I thought it was
closed and was going to get a few shots of the front of the building, but
the door was open.  Walking in was like stepping into a time machine.  The
place was cluttered, every counter and shelf covered with old camera items.
Old chemicals and paper filled one section.  The shelves were stocked with
names I hadn't heard about in years.  Most were brand new in the box.  Like
a museum.  I managed a few shots of the interior.  There were some gentlemen
in the central cage (office) and as we were looking around, a lady came to
help.  She was very talkative.  It would take a whole day to look around to
see if they had anything, but my eye caught a Novoflex box and I asked what
it was.  She pulled it out and a new Novoflex focusing rail appeared.  I had
been toying with the idea of a focusing rail, and she made me an offer I
took, so I walked out with a purchase.  Sounds like it had been closed for
years while they dabbled in real estate a bit, but she was opening it again.
One other customer came in and she seemed like she was going to order him a
digital Canon SLR that would come in next week.

Brought back memories.  Not that I was a regular customer there, but a few
times when visiting my father-in-law drove me to Franks and Olympic Camera
to see what I could find.  I remember it as chaotic and cluttered then.  It
is just cluttered now.

HYPERLINK
"http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/jan09/misc/"http://gallery.leica-user
s.org/v/Aram/jan09/misc/