[LRflex] Fouth of July and Hamburgers

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LRflex <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 08:48:09 -0700

I've mentioned that I spent my Canada Day serving hamburgers, Hot Dogs &
Smokies to the crowd. I was asked, off list, how we could serve that many, in
such a short period, and have everything cooked satisfactorily.

I thought some of you might be interested in the answer ... especially with the
Fourth sneaking up on us!

We work with a temporary food permit, duly approved by our local Health
Authority.

We cook the hamburgers all the way through, as required by law. We solve the
problem of feeding so many, in such a short time, by setting yup at 8 am and
starting to cook at about 9:10 to 9:15 am. to be ready for an 11:15 to 11:30
start of the rush. After cooking, we pop them into large pots of steaming hot
"Au jus" (in this case, a watered down onion soup), which not only keeps them
moist & fresh tasting, but slightly improves to the flavour. As a hamburger is
ordered, someone simply scoops it out of the au jus, pops it between the bun
and in to a foil wrapper, before a runner brings it to the customer.

We solve the time problem of how they want it, by having two 8 foot (roughly
2.5 meter) long tables, each with over 20 different condiments, from relishes,
mustard, ketchup, to sauerkraut , fried onions, lettuce, etc. They can then
load it up, as they wish. The only thing we charge extra for, is cheese.

For the hamburgers, we have a grill that will cook up to 24 at a time - though
16 to 20 is bit more comfortable.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Look/HBurger-1.html

Sometimes it can get a wee bit exciting...

http://www.furnfeather.net/Look/HBurger-2.html

Terry, the lady who does our cooking (I do cash) is nicknamed "Pyro"...

We have a second crew on two BBQ's, but using exactly the same system, for
hot-dogs and Smokies.

A simple, fast and effective system, that - with two people on cash - will
serve 800 satisfied customers in an hour.

So, let me end, by wishing all of our members who live in South Canada, a safe
and happy Fourth of July!

And, remember: Always practice safe eating. Use condiments!

David.