[LRflex] Re: Four thirds thread - Questions for Gary inside

  • From: Gary Todoroff <datamaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:00:25 -0800

At 02:03 PM 12/14/06, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>Following the thread on zooms (back to 35mmm), I went back to Gary's
>Lympalog, which, as a new 4/3 user, triggered two series of questions:
>
>a) I am still without a 4/3 / Leica ring as I cannot decide which to
>choose.
>Should it be a very cheap one (made in c..) or the much more expensive
>ones (made in C ??).

Phillipe - I bought the very first available 4/3 adapter, which came
from Hong Kong for about $100 (see first entry of my Lympa Log:
http://northcoastphotos.com/Lympa_2006_03_02.htm ).
It has worked just fine and fits the same as when I first received it
- good piece of gear. You could always buy the cheapest adapter and
keep it as a spare in case you want to upgrade to something higher priced.

>Has any user noticed or heard from the horse's mouth (that's where  Gary
>could help, he was so close to that horse on his lympalog ;-) ) of
>failures or damage caused by a ring to a 4/3 body?
>What about wear and tear?

No percept able wear on the E-330 lens mount at all for me.

>b) The second question is mainly for Gary:  On the Lympalog you wrote
>that the Zuiko 7-24 is smashing. Do you still think so? Any problem,
>failure, disappointment with it since?
>Have others used other wides on their D3, Olygrail or L1?

That big hunk of glass continues to amaze me - very sharp and
contrasty with WIDE images. I find myself using it very often with
the Live View tilted at 90 degrees and the camera set down on a table
or something for slow shutter speed interior shots. Along with live
view it was my other reason for going with Olympus. After many years
being used to Leica optics, the 7-14mm f4 lens does not disappoint in
any way. I think it is a "ground-breaking" kind of lens and I
appreciate it in the same way that I do the Leica APO 70-180 jewel.

>The Vario that came with the L1 is a great lense I think, but I used to
>preferably shoot with shorter or longer lenses, the Angie 70 x 3 + ring
>might do the trick on one end, and the Zuiko on the other.

My Zuiko 14-54mm 2.8-3.5 lens takes at least half of my photos. The
35mm equivalent of 28-108mm is an ideal range for general purpose.
Just had it out in the rain a couple days ago and it was comforting
to know that Olympus built it as a water resistant lens. Would love
to compare it with Leica's similar 14-50mm 4/3 lens! I'm really
looking forward to the Leica 25mm 1.4 prime lens, due out in April.

Regards,
Gary