[LRFlex] Re: Fossils and Minerals - help!

  • From: "Steven Rosenthal" <Steverose108@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 09:03:15 -0800

Hi Douglas. You could put your specimen on a glass 'stage', perhaps make it
translucent plastic or just a sheet of typing paper on glass, mask trace
around the base, and cut a mask from black paper to suit.or even just drape
it with black velvet etc....such that the light will only come up thru the
specimen....illuminate it from beneath with a hi intensity lamp ( you can
get a great one for less than $10 at Ikea) . With this stage set against a
dark black or a contrasting color background it would give the effect you
are looking for..

As to general tabletop photography the big thing for a few years now are
these sort of pop-up fabric cubes or tents, some are cylindrical or even
conical, made of translucent material.... you put the subject inside and
illuminate it from above/outside with strobe or incandescent light... gives
a wonderful and extremely professional even illumination that looks like you
spent a fortune on special lighting.

The thing is, you don't need a ton of strobes or mastery of product
lightning as even with one flash, the material diffuses the light perfectly
all around. Maybe two lights would be better, I don't know, but a lot of
people use these with just the one strobe. You would need the capability to
have a remote sensor for your auto flash, or use a manual flash and a flash
meter in the tent to preset the exposure...

There are many many of these sold on 'everybody's favorite auction site'
(for some reason people don't usually give the name in these user groups,
don't know why since we all know what site we are talking about!) .. some as
inexpensive as $30-50. My old dad's friend made up a similar one for a
couple dollars using a few sheets of stiff matte, translucent Mylar drafting
vellum obtained at an art store... I think the first was conical, with a
hole to poke the lens thru. I would prob. go with a cylinder or perhaps
cube, albeit some framework might be needed... coat hanger wire and duct
tape?

Yours, Steven R

 I've been trying to get some decent shots of fossils and stuff I collected
in
> the UK over the past couple of years. Somehow they just don't seem right
to me.

    www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm