[LRflex] Re: For airplane fans- more Spitfires and Red Arrows

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 05:58:05 -0700

Subject: [LRflex] Re: For airplane fans- more Spitfires and Red Arrows

in the Sky for the moment, no pictures of work in progress is a little

suspicious in my books.

But, trusting person as I am, I'll keep taking a peek at their website

to see what develops.<<<<

Good morning Douglas,

The no pictures crossed my mind that it might be a possible scam. :-( But
like you, a trusting soul, I thought who would do something like that when
it's such a wonderful plane and potential for making the dreams of many come
true?

But that puts it in a perfect category for some scam artists to milk the
feelings of many with impunity.

And of course how long do they predict it will be before the aircraft is
ready to fly? And regulations allow a passenger to be along.

I've heard some of these re-builds to flight standards can take more years
than I might have left.  What the hell if I'm gone they could always take my
ashes along for a quick ride to satisfy the old guy. ;-)

We shall see.

I completely agree about the Mosquito and yes I'd jump at the chance for
ride in one of those in the blink of an eye lash. :-)  During a parade in
Toronto as a member of the 48th Highlander Regiment, Canadian Reserves
during WW2 a Mosquito passed overhead no more than a hundred feet and
completely scrambled the parade in all directions.

To say the least there were some, we might say politely, totally missed off
senior officers looking for the pilot to be grounded. However the crew and
plane were on a cross Canada purchase War Bond drive. And had been given
carte blanche to do whatever they wanted in flight as long as it helped sell
war Bonds. The out come? Nothing to the pilot as their flights over the city
that day resulted in record sales of bonds. :-)

But the twin Merlin's just rocked the socks off as they passed over head.
:-)

Regards,

ted

Cheers

Douglas

Ted Grant wrote:

> Doug when you check out the attached Spitfire restoration site

> http://www.spitflight.com/

> It may not be as economically challenging as I thought. :-) It seems

> one can buy a share in the restoration for little over $800 Canadian.

> J However, it doesn't say how long nor how many shares one need buy

> before the plane is ready for flight? And what kind of wait list they

> have.

> Might be worth looking into if it doesn't mean sitting around for ten

> years for them to finish the re-build.

> ted

10:17 AM