[LRflex] For Sale Rules - Addendum

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 09:56:42 -0700

Jerry Lehrer wrote:

>David,
>
>What are the Friday "for sale" rules?
>
>Jerry

Please, no announcements of Ebay or other auctions... we all know where
to find them, if we want them.

"Friday for sale" is intended to help list members buy/sell gear between
themselves.

F'rinstance, I check the auction sites and my local used gear dealer and
find out what an item is 'worth'. Let's say it's $500. Now, my guy takes
a 25% commission, so on $500, I'm only going to receive $375. So I'd
price that item at $439 to $449. The buyer saves 10% or better (as well
as paying no taxes), and I make more than if I sold it though a shop.
So, both sides win - which is the essence of a fair deal.

I have sold and purchased a fair amount of gear through the three major
Leica lists (LUG/LEG/LRflex), over the last few years, and had nothing
but good experiences, both as a buyer and a seller.

As an example, I just sold my Leitz extension tubes to a chap in Chapel
Hill, NC. He mailed the money order, and I mailed the tubes the next
day. The two crossed in the mail, and arrived at their respective
destinations but a day apart. Now I admit, on a big ticket item, I'd
likely wait until the Money Order arrived before shipping, but for small
ticket items this method works well, and every person I have dealt with
has been honourable.

Logan Lake, BC
CANADA.

Personal Web-site at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt