[LRflex] Re: Food for thought in the R10 debate + L1 news

  • From: Bob Shaw <rsphotoimages@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 09:56:02 -0700

My job takes me in and out of 13 Best Buy and Circuit City big box
stores 5 days a week from Seattle to the Canadian border.

Panasonic is doing OK - not great but OK.  People are learning about
the "LEICA" branding on the smaller camera lenses and they are buying.

Meanwhile, the equivalent to the Digilux 3 continues to languish on the
shelves, despite a huge price drop of US $ 500.00 to about $ 1,500.00,
last month.

I've been visiting the same cameras with the same stock number for more
than 4 months now.  They are not selling.

Especially when they are next to the Olympus E-500 with two lenses for
less money.

Bob in Seattle.

On May 6, 2007, at 7:54, David Young wrote:

Juan wrote:

> The future of the 4/3 system itself has never been all that clear, =20
> but Panasonic (at least in the US) does not seem to be making the =20
> effort required to make people aware of the L1. Sony went overboard =20
> with publicity for the alpha (10MP, image stabilization, backwards =20
> compatibility with millions of Minolta lenses), and today's price is
> =20
> $625 (33% off in one year), and I don't know how well they are selling.

Hi Juan!

In North America, the Sonly sold very well, for a couple of months...
but now, sales have slowed substantially.

This from the Canadian Trade Paper "Marketnews", which I get.