[LRflex] Re: Focus Stacking with Freeware (still more!) - Xavier

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 12:57:06 -0700

Xavier wrote:

> I found this tutorial quite funny:
> http://youtu.be/FM7yUUmGMvE

I don't know about funny, Xavier, for he didn't make me laugh, but he does
provide a very basic explanation of the technique.

Interestingly, for me, there are more steps in Ps6 to do focus stacking than
with CombineZP.

I was also fascinated by the out-of-focus edges that PS6 produces (according to
the video) and think that this is analogous to the mirrored bits that CombineZP
produces at the edge.  Obviously, the different algorithms employed by each
program give a slightly different result, but the basic problem-at-the-edges
remainsand is cured by simple cropping.

> In fact, the difficulty in creating these images, in my sense, is to
> build series.

Agreed, as Aram, pointed out.  My next test uses 8 focus points, rather than 5
and is shot from a bit further back.  To view these results, see my next post.

> Obviously, PS takes ground on the contrast between the focus/out of
> focus in each image.

Now, that is something which I missed when comparing the output of Ps6 vs
CombineZP.

If you look at the comparison photo found at:

http://www.furnfeather.net/StackTest/Comparisons.html

you can see that PS6 requires more shots, to build a sharp image. The CombineZP
stack is sharper, in the areas between the points of focus!

(Remember, both the Ps6 & C-ZP images were built from exactly the same shots.)

> It seems successful but requires a great hand in execution.

As with Piano & sex, "Practice makes perfect"!

David.

is active.