[LRflex] Focus Assist Mirrors (Was An Exif Comment)

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Feb 2010 20:24:11 -0800 (PST)

Hello Herman,
  Let me begin with my personal photographic history that I started out with a
well worn Minolta SRT-102 and Rokkor 50mm f2 back I picked up for a Junior
College course back in the Eighties. Over the next few years I upgraded through
the x370/570/700 bodies and in my Sophmore Year in college (majoring in
photography) I made the dive into Autofocus with an EOS 620/Rebel Kit I put
together over time. I also got into Rolleiflex TLR shooting and 4x5 View Camera
Photography. I come to the challenge of adapting Manual Focus Lenses to dSLR's
with a set of experiences fairly well suited to tackling it.
   After having climbed under a dark cloth in fading light with my loupe to use
on a 40year old ground glass attempting to focus the image coming through a 50
year old f11 max aperture lens - the 'problems' of focusing with a stopped down
lens on a modern quality dSLR has a much different sense of difficulty!
   Anyway, I still very much miss the porro prism rings and split image focus
assist devices missing on these 'modern' cameras. I've made note on this list
that the 5dmk2's have user changeable focus screens a couple of times, but
today I discovered in my ongoing research efforts that the 5Dmk2's don't have
Canon OEM Screens available which have Focus Assist Devices! :-) That would be
an OOPs on my part barring there being a canon one out there made of
'Un-obtain-ium' or something, but I lean toward me having OOPs-ed!
   Which brings me to finding the following products available after some
googling around on FredMiranda.com and following some links posted there:
"http://www.slrdaren.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=65_71&zenid=291dd52958ca3b3f61e0c2c6e8299805";
   I have zip experience with these specific products nor the retailer
providing them so remember to conduct a proper due diligence before purchase!
:-)
   Yet, I thought it important to give a shout out to R to EOS lens adapting
members about there being a fairly reasonable route to re-acquiring the
wonderful assistance of a Rapid Return Mirror that actually helps someone to
manually focus! I dearly love, sincerely love, the wonders and joys of a well
designed and well implemented Auto Focus System - But the price of admission
essentially has usually been the loss of Split Image Devices and Porro Prisms.
   Now, While spending 80 to 90 Dollars on a camera accessory can be quite an
expense, compared to the acquisition costs / inherent value of our R lenses
themselves, it could put that price into a much different light. I know that
when I scroll through eBay to keep a sense of the 'used' marketplace for R
glass, the price point for any lens essentially is in hundreds of dollars and
thousand dollar lenses are quite 'common' (much to much so for my tastes
anyway!). Anyway hope someone finds some of this info of use. I know that Focus
Screen Selection is one of those things leaning me towards the EOS 1D/DS family
of cameras, but there are options for the 5D line as well.
Sincerely,
Richard.

Be Nice To Your Children!
They Will Be Choosing