[LRflex] Focal plane shutter distortions

  • From: "Jeffrey L. T. Gluck" <jgluckphoto66@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Feb 2010 00:14:57 -0500

>Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 17:51:52 -0500
>From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
>Subject: [LRflex] =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Re=3A_=5BLRflex=5D_Focal-plane_shutter_di?=
>
>On 2/3/2010 5:20 PM, Jeffrey L. T. Gluck wrote:
>

>>> Apropos of this discussion, I recall seeing interesting pictures of
>>> focal-plane shutter distortion of aëroplane propellers. If anyone has a
>>> link, please post it. I saw it several years ago but lost the link. I'm
>>> sure most here are familiar with that.
>>> Jeff Gluck
>>>

>Jeff,
>    Here are two.  The first is from Wiki, and shows severe
>distortion of helicopter main and tail rotor blades, including
>the blades' shadows not corresponding to where the blades are.
>This was taken with a DSLR, according to the text.
>
>http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/chdk/images/4/46/Focalplane_shutter_distortions.jpg
>
>The next one I almost sent after the discussion on FP distortion
>during panning.  This was almost certainly shot with a Speed Graphic,
>in any case the shutter moves from the top of the camera to the
>bottom during the exposure, which means from the bottom of the
>image to the top.  The bottom of the hangar is exposed first, and
>as the camera is panned to the left, the hangar moves to the right,
>but only a thin slice is exposed at a time.  The airplane looks
>pretty good, the photographer did a good job panning.
>    There are two propellers on an XB-42, turning in opposite
>directions, the front propeller turns in the normal (for the US)
>direction of right handed, that is clockwise from the rear.
>The rear propeller turns the other way.  The blades are not
>tapered at all, all the appearance of sweep is due to the shutter.
>
>http://www.nationalmuseum.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/060912-F-1234S-006.jpg
>

>If you do a close up with a Speed Graphic using the body shutter, you can
>get a blade curved all the way around and back the other side of the rotor
>hub.
>
> -- Charlie Falke _____ /\ | __/\__/------/__) |(____\/_________/ "One
> test result is worth | |/ `o one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher
> Von Braun 0 N4003M "Imagination is more important than knowledge" -
> Albert Einstein

Charlie,

What weird distortions! The picture I was thinking of was taken
(presumably) in WWII and showed the bizarre distortion of the rotaring
propellers. I believe the picture was taken with a Leica or Contax, but
I'm not 100-percent sure.

I used to do large-format work with various Linhof cameras, but as none
had a FP shutter, distortion was never an issue with leaf shutters.

Jeff Gluck