[LRflex] Re: Flying Lessons...

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 22:31:56 -0700

At 7/23/2009, you wrote:
Congratulations on the image David.

I am blown away by the timing of the moment you captured, but I'm equally stunned by the incredible range of values you captured. I am referring to the openness of your shadows along with clean whites in the banner in a scene that was obviously very brightly lit (Fusion powered Flash?). As an un-initiated hope to soon use leica glass person - would this contrast controlling goodness be a typical attribute in general or peculiar to certain designs or generations of lens?

If you care to share the info - which lens did you create this image with and upon which camera?

Sincerely
Richard W.

Good Evenin' again, Richard!

Thanks for your kind comment on "flying lesson".

If by "Fusion powered Flash", you're referring to sunlight, then yes. It was a brilliant day with temps hovering around 36 degrees (that's 97 degrees in West Michigan). Certainly, I never use "ordinary" flash in all but the most desperate circumstances.

As an aspiring Leica glass user, you won't like my answer to you "which lens" question.

It was shot, hand held, using the Olympus E3 with the Oly 50~200/f2.8-f3.5 @ 137mm, f3.4 (wide open) and 1/1250 sec using an ISO of 640. No noise reduction was used.

The long tonal range is due, mostly, to the sensor in the E3, and the use of SILKYPIX for "development" of the raw image. Silkypix (a Japanese program) does very well at preserving tonal values.

For critical work, I prefer the 80~200/f4 Vario Elmar, on the E3, but for Rodeo work, I simply lose too many shots to mis-focusing on the rapidly moving bulls and broncs. For this type of work the AF in the Oly serves me very well... though not perfectly.

As for my choice of camera ... well, the R8/DMR combination was probably the best image cutter I've ever owned... but sadly, it's long gone. The Oly is the next best thing I've used, in digital, and I am very happy with it. Results are very good (despite what people moan about the smaller, FourThirds, sensor) and the finder is almost as good as the R8's finder and better than the R4 through R6 finders.

Thanks for looking.  :-)

David Young
Logan Lake, BC

Wildlife Photos: www.furnfeather.net