[LRflex] First rhododendron of the season taken with 3 lenses

  • From: LEICAFLEX <leicaflex@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:51:37 -0800

Hi all!

I have asked myself why I have multiple lenses that are around the
same focal length.  Maybe I need to unload some of them?  What has
kept me from doing it is that they all have their own "signature"
apart from sharpness - "bokeh" being the first thing that makes a
difference.  Well, Steve inspired me so much with his "last rose"
photo that I decided to "shoot something out there" too, and maybe
shed some light on the characteristics of 3 telephoto/zoom lenses with
overlapping focal lengths.

So it was time to try a quick test in drizzly weather with poor
outdoor natural lighting.   There were no roses in bloom so I aimed
the 180/3.4 Apo-Telyt at the first rhododendron bloom of the season in
my front yard, followed by the Angenieux 70-210/3.5 set at approx.
180mm, and finally the Canon EF USM 70-300/4-5.6 set at approx. 180mm.
 All shots taken with Canon 20D set at 200ASA and lenses were all wide
open; the first 2 Leica R-mount lenses had a Tagotech R-to-ROS adapter
with Dandelion chip for focus confirmation (sweet in yesterday's rainy
SF Bay Area diminished light!).  Here are the 3 images:

Apo-Telyt 180/3.4:
http://tinyurl.com/yagwbjp

Angenieux 70X3:
http://tinyurl.com/y9g7zm9

Canon EF USM 70-300:
http://tinyurl.com/y8ro5ls

Note that post- processing in PS Elements involved only cropping and
homogeneous contrast adjustments across all 3 images.

It looks like the Angenieux has the smoothest "bokeh", which give it
that famous cinematic quality.  The Apo-Telyt (Canada) is snappier,
while the autofocus Canon zoom does the job adequately (also at least
half the price of the others) but was not sharper than the rest even
though it had image stabilization turned on.  I hope to hear your
opinions, and why you prefer any one over the others!

Thanks in advance,
Eric Chan