[LRflex] Re: Finnegan, begin again...

  • From: Peter Klein <pklein@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2012 14:28:45 -0800

Everyone:  Thanks for the comments on my selfie with my Bellowing
Bedpost. Which does indeed seem to have grown legs (thanks, Steve!).

Richard:  Great story.  Bassoons are made of maple wood. As for
insanity, bassoonists don't have to worry about too much high-frequency
feedback. But reed issues can drive you crazy, not to mention
fingerings. The bassoon was never able to take advantage of the
newfangled 19th century key systems that allowed one to play with
reasonable facility in all musical keys. So we just have to do it
anyway. On some scales you are changing most of your fingers with every
note. The left thumb operates 9 keys, the right thumb, 4 keys.

I have been writing *about* music and composing music all my adult
life.  I gave up playing over 20 years ago after a carpal-tunnel type of
hand injury (which was caused by too many long hours working at the
computer). Anyway, lately I've realized how much I miss making music
with other people. And I've realized that anything worth doing is worth
doing imperfectly, something I didn't understand when I was younger.

--Peter

Richard Ward sez:
 > Congrats on Begining Again!
 >
 > A hilarious co-worker I used to have talked about having been a
competition winning tuba player in college. He would joke that the
reason he gave it up is because the lives of concert musicians always
turn out bad: The brass players end up broke alcoholics because no one
respects orchestral tuba players and the reed instruments players end up
suicidal because their instruments cause a high frequency feedback up
through their skulls causing brain damage.