[LRflex] Re: Finders, was (Fall Colours)

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 07:54:25 -0700

Xavier wrote:

Just to add my 0.02 Leica here, I woud like also a better finder than the Digilux3 and ergonomics closer to a "classic" camera than the actual "mission Appollo" CAN-NIKO cameras.

Not to ask as much as David, I would be happy to have the M8 converted to a Reflex (smal size of body, please), adding the focus confirmation.

Good Mornin' Xavier!

I too would be happier with a smaller, lighter body than we've seen in the R8 & R9. However, one problem with finders is that, assuming all other things are equal, a finder's brilliance is directly related to the size of the prism. Unfortunately, larger prisms also weigh more!

I'm not sure how this works,optically, but I have heard it from many sources, including the fine folks at Leica, and they all agree.

Thus, as smaller body would bring us back, most likely, to the finder brightness of the R5 through R7. Adequate, but not a whole lot better than the Canon's or Nikons.

Again, if Leica are true to their stated goal of building a camera which will attract the pro's back to the Leica fold, I think the camera will be at least R9 sized in order to offer the brilliant finder we expect from a Leica.

I could live with the size, providing (a) they use more magnesium alloys to lighten the load, if not reduce the bulk, and (b) they retain the R9 quality finder - at a minimum.

And, if Leica could improve the quality control... But don't expect, in Europe, it seems not possible!

If this statement is true, Leica is doomed. QC must, at the very least, equal that of the Japanese builders, and at the moment, they are not quite there. Hr. Kaufmann addressed this in his talks, at Rochester, saying they were working very hard at improving QC. Time will tell.

At the last Photokina, I told Steven Lee that if they could package an M8 with a reflex finder, in the body with the size and weight of an R7, I'd be first in line. Today, I'd ask for a 12mp sensor, as well, but the statement would likely till be true!