[LRFlex] Re: Filters, screw in can of worm?

  • From: NATSTEK@xxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 00:33:17 EDT

Xavier,

My test for anticipating lens/image degradation from a filter used with
either strong point light source, or else strong side lighting source is;

hold the filter in your hand, in an average, to fairly dark room, then look
down into the surface of the filter, with any light shining on your face, if
you can see a strong reflection of yourself in the surface of the filter, then
it'll more than likely degrade the image a pretty fair amount. However, if you
can only see a fairly faint image of yourself, then use the filter with as
deep a lens hood or some other shielding device as you can and rest assured
that
you will get very little image degradation or loss of contrast.

You understand that the above is the "Unofficial Art Tafil Test" for
acceptable filters.

All kidding aside, try it, because it works.

I've had pretty good luck with Coated Nikon, Canon, or Minolta filters as
they all pass the test, such as the Nikon L37C or L1BC filters.

Just a thought,

Art Tafil

Oh, by the way, why not just get a used 35mm f/4 PC Curtagon, from Schnieder
in Leica R, 3 cam mount?

I had one for years and it did everything that I asked of it. You can get
them for a few hundred dollars US.