[LRflex] "Film-ical" vs. digital rf cameras

  • From: "Mike B." <funsky1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 09:31:05 -0800 (PST)

40 years ago - I often shot with a friend's M3 and a 90mm Elmar lens.
The viewfinder was not great but the lens in low light was wunderbar for
gymnastics pix.
We were high school newspaper shooting partners and printed a lot in the
darkroom.
In between those years - I had looked at the CL and Minolta CLE - which seemed
to have a lesser vf than the CL but sharp lenses. Boston photog and teacher -
Lou Jones - had touted the CLE system for Minolta 30 years ago - THEN but now
shoots Leica rf and I think Canon digi-slr.

I had a Nikon S for 15 years but parts for it were hard to find and it
developed holes in the shutter curtain. Sold it to a guy in DC who spent about
$400 restoring it. Better albeit tiny vf than the M3.

In 2001 - I started buying Voigtlander rf bodies - the R (used) and eventually
by dumb luck - 2 L bodies. The 25mm Skopar is my favorite lens but the 15
Super-Wide-Heliar can be trying. Too easy to distort angles but a nice bokeh.
Several rf Leica folks have coveted that lens. Voigtlander camera bodies so-so
- glass`another story.

The L's became my tools for street photography because their small size.  My
Leica R-E and the 21mm Angulon  were bought in 2006.and because of the reflex
viewing - it is now my street combo.

I have run into several M8 shooters locally - who said they were awaiting the
M8.2 and M9.
None had been rf film shooters. Complaints about the viewing screen and minor
stuff.

YES - if I had the money - a M9 would be my next choice in digi.

Some of the "masters" of the NatGeo like` Bill Allard shoot with one - but he
could make stellar images with a Pocket Instamatic.

I think for us older - more vision-challenged shooters - the R system is still
the way to go.

Can't imagine a Telyt's power against the maximum telephoto M rf lens that one
could buy!