[LRflex] Re: Film vs. Digital Sales Stats.

  • From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:19:38 -0700

David Young offered:
Subject: [LRflex] Film vs. Digital Sales Stats.
>> To top it all off, I've just returned from town, where I was in the
> photo dept. of our largest retailer.  They've just moved into a new
> store, having spent nearly a million bucks to built the new
> premises.  They now stock only 4 types of B&W and 4 types of colour
> film.  Personally, I find the whole thing rather depressing!<<<

Now David,
Don't get depressed over something you have no control over because you're
the only one who's going to feel depressed. And Rose will get on your case!
:-) Particulalrly if you get moping around the house! ;-) It's just like the
weather, you can't do anything about it, so getting depressed over the
general demise of film? Get a life! :-)

If you've got millions of $ invested in film, yep I guess you have a right
to be depressed. However, I think not! ;-)

The high end CEO's, super managers and others of similar ranking in the film
industry will still live a comfortable life when it finally bottoms out.
Yep some kind of film will still be around, just as there's still paint,
canvas and brushes of better quality than 150 plus years since the invent of
photography. And the supposed death of painting!

If you were doing only film and were never going to do digital you'd have a
reason to feel bad. Depressed? Why? Certainly when you have a top end
digital camera and smashing great lenses? Save your feelings old buddy over
film, like really, who cares?

Just forget about film as it's a thing of the past for a great many people
and will continue to drop away. To oblivion? Not likely, but near it.

One should feel the opposite, great joy that we experienced the wonderful
days of film and the amazing things we did with it in almost primitive
fashion, certainly compared to the wonders of digital. Particularly when we
haven't seen the peak of digital as it becomes better and better in quality
far beyond our wildest imagination.

I have no doubt some day digital will be so fine grained or "whatever it's
called" Kodachrome 25 will look like 3200 t-max in comparison. OK so I can
dream. ;-)

I know I'm having a much harder time learning all the techie digi stuff than
I did with film, however there's a huge group of people and friends who
constantly hold their hand out with assistance, far more than film and wet
tray of 56 years ago. A bonus in the digi world! :-)

The weather is great, lots of birds and beavers about in your area so go
shoot some imaginary film on your digi recording card! ;-) You'll feel
better within seconds as you look at those beautiful digi images you shot
split seconds ago.

Film? It would be in yer pocket for another day or longer before you got it
to the lab, a week or more before you got it back! :-( Forget the
depression! Think beautiful digital photos! Then smile! :-) We're waiting to
see some. ;-)

ted