[LRflex] Film Type for shooting exhibitions indoors

  • From: "Jeffrey L. T. Gluck" <jgluckphoto66@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 13:30:33 -0400

Walter Kramer wrote:

>------------------------------
>
>From: "walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx" <walter.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [LRflex] Film Type for shooting exhibitions indoors
>Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2010 08:37:13 +0800
>
> I am going to a rather large art exhibition this weekend and will be
>taking=my M6 with summicron 50 and 90.  Looking for advice on film both
>colo=ur and B&W suitable for shooting inside without flash.  I believe =
>thatthe space will be quite well lit and wondering if I would be able to g=
>et away with 400 film.  Also  wondering which 800ASA would be goo= d in
>thesecircumstances.  I cannot metre before hand so I;'ll be taki= ng some
>800along anyway.
>=

Walter,

I would go with ISO 800 film. I've photographed at many museums in New
York City and flash is rarely allowed. The lighting can be good in one
exhibit and thoroughly dismal in another. I suggest using Fuji Pro 800Z.
I used it for shooting indoors at the Auto Show and it handled the
situation very well. ISO 400 may be a little too slow and the 800Z was
not noticeably much grainier. The Fuji fourth-layer technology will help
with mixed lighting.

Consider taking something wider than your 50 'cron. I'd bring at least a
35, more likely a 24 or 28. You may be able to get some nice wide shots
that set the scene for the exhibition, while you can narrow in on
individual pieces with your 50 and 90.

I had planned on taking to the Auto Show just my 50/2 and 28/2.8, but
the focussing tab on the 28 broke off the day before. I went with just
my Tri-Elmar and even at f/4, it was fast enough with the 800Z.

Good luck!

Jeff Gluck