[LRflex] Film Scan Evaluation

  • From: Richard Ward <ilovaussiesheps@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 14:57:18 -0800 (PST)

Hello Group,
   I have been testing a new scanning methodology based on some of the
commentary I received in the LeicaReflex group recently. I have an image I want
to share to get some input on whether folks feel It's a 'good' looking scan, or
isn't, as the case may be. Note! Original shot with a 35mm Kodak Single Use
Panorama Camera at the Grand Canyon 15 years ago. Seemed like a neg strip where
finding and 'focusing' on film grain would be easier than a film frame shot
with a monster sharp lens. May or not have been a good idea.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zeissfan/4425183555/sizes/l/

The above link IS NOT the full res link!

The original is a 7000pixel wide scan file.
For members interested in commenting on the full res file and are capable of
easily downloading such an image - the link is:

"http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4005/4425183555_a9fe165fe0_o.jpg";

^^^ NOTE! Above link is to a HUGE! 5mb Jpeg! ^^^

Workflow was Epson Scan, 4800dpi as Color Negative scan with NO autoexposure,
sharpening, ICE or software dust fixes. NONE.
I then opened in Photoshop CS, adjusted individual color channel curves to
achieve color balance, used 'smart sharpen' to achieve as clear 'film grain' as
I could without tipping into halo effects, then back to Curves to adjust the
tonalities and brightnesses a bit.

Saved the initial color balance 'curves' and the 'smart sharpen' settings to
replicate them across the rest of the roll later on. Repeatability and such
being so much easier that way!

Sincerely
Richard in Mi.

A conservative is a man who believes that nothing should be done for the first
time.
- Alfred E. Wiggam