[LRflex] Field Day in Logan Lake/Mercedes-Benz Kitchen

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 19:05:18 +0200

David,
that's just the kind of object I love to have within view when I'm sitting at my desk - a reminder that aesthetics and technology are not mutually exclusive.

This is a little too big for my desk:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/d/128274-1/kitchen-1.jpg

50th Anniversary of the German Red Cross in our part of town - a beautifully preserved Mercedes Field Kitchen in pristine condition, seen yesterday outside the local pharmacy.

Cheers
Douglas

David Young wrote:

Once each June, amateur radio operators across North America set up stations in remote or not-so-remote areas operating on battery or emergency generator power, and make as many radio contacts as they can in 24 hours. Our local Thompson Radio Society (VE7 TRS) set up "camp" in the Ranch & Country Club clubhouse /(not nearly as elegant as it sounds!)/, and went to work.

Field Day is many things - an introduction of amateur radio to the public, a contest, a chance for operators to gain experience with bands they haven't on operated before. It's also a chance to practice emergency operating skills. Not that our club need too much practice. They provide all communications for the local (and,sadly, very active) Search & Rescue Society, as well as assisting with local forest fire fighting activities.

Many times, CW (Continuous Wave, using Morse code) will get through when voice modes are unusable because of distance or interference:

I thought one of the Morse keys was so beautifully made, that it almost qualified as a "work of art".

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Key.htm

Here it is, in use... during the field day.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/Paul.htm

Cheers!

David  - not a radio amateur, but brother of VE7BBY.
---

David Young, Logan Lake, CANADA

Limited Edition Prints at: www.furnfeather.net <http://www.furnfeather.net/> Personal Web-site at: www.main.furnfeather.net <http://www.main.furnfeather.net/>