[LRflex] Re: Field Day in Logan Lake.

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 12:03:38 -0700

Charlie Falke wrote:

David,
   That's a great photo of the bug key, the textures of the
chrome and the shiny plastic knob are well captured.
Part of the attraction of the hobby is that a lot of neat old
gear is still useful.  (Rather like Leicas and Flexes :-)
   The Vibroplex design goes back before WWI, possibly
the first equipment designed to mitigate carpal tunnel.
Charlie.

Hi Charlie!

I didn't realize that the Vibroflex was such an old design... it is (or at least this one is, I believe) an electronic keyer.

As mentioned, part of the purpose of a field day is to show the public what they do. And, over 24 hours, they had only 3 visitors.... or, rather, just one visitor who came 3 times. Me.

The first visit was to take photos. There was one chap who had brought some very interesting old radios ... including an RCA Radiola 18.

http://www.furnfeather.net/Temps/OldGear.htm

So my second visit was to take him a book on troubleshooting radios .. published in 1943, I'd been carrying it around for some 30 years, looking for the right home for it. He, I felt, would give it that home. Upon rummaging through my office, I found an old "battery chart", which had originally come with a Radiola 25... so my third visit was to deliver that to him, as well.

I was pleased to find the "right" home for these items, and he was delighted to expand his collection!

A good day, all round!