[LRflex] Re: Fast, sharp Leica R prime lenses to use with Canon digital

  • From: Colin McGuire <galwaycolin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Apr 2009 09:52:52 -0400

Thanks to all who have contributed so far, -for all the advice, suggestions,
website links, etc. -Looks like I have lots of homework to do!

BTW, I did not bid on the Summilux-R 50/1.4 that I mentioned seeing on ebay.
The auction ended today, April 5th. I was unable to establish from the seeler
whether or not it would work on my Canon 5D MarkII. It sold for US $698 -too
much money for me to spend without knowing for sure wheter or not it would work
with my Canon %d Mark II...

Best, Galwaycolin.

From: captbilly3@xxxxxxxxx
To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [LRflex] Re: Fast, sharp Leica R prime lenses to use with Canon digital
Date: Sat, 4 Apr 2009 21:46:57 -0700

Colin,

Go to http://rlfc.world.coocan.jp/Galleryfiles/R_Sample/rlensgallerymenu.html

The web  site has photographs of many sorts taken with specific Leica R lenses.
You pick a lens of interest and will then be able to see pictures made with
that lens are like.

Of course there are many variables and these are not high resolution images but
they may give you some ideas.

To get an idea of the cost of used Leica R lenses in the U.S., visit the used
equipment sections of one or more of these large American camera stores:

http://www.keh.com/onlinestore/home.aspx
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/
http://www.adorama.com/

My local favorite is:

http://www.camerawest.com/

I don't have any leads in Ireland or the UK for you but I know that there are
shops in the UK that deal in used R lenses.

I recently went on a tour with my Leica M8 and three lenses, a 90mm f/2, a 50mm
f/1.4, and a 28mm f/2. Because I was shooting from a moving vehicle I simply
used aperture priority, moderate ISOs from 160 to 640 as the light varied, and
opened each lens wide open.

I got many serviceable shots at shutter speeds up to 1/8000 of landscapes,
farms, roads, buildings and so forth, all distant subjects to be sure, out the
side window. All the lenses performed very well under those extreme conditions
and gave me a great experience of Leica's wide open lens performance. I was
frankly amazed.

Good luck and I hope what find you are looking for.

All the best,

Bill
California

On Apr 4, 2009, at 4:29 PM, Colin McGuire wrote:

<snip>
Also, does anybody know of somewhere (a web gallery, or the like) I could go
looking to see examples of shots take by specific lenses (such as the Summilux
80mm 1.4, suggested by Steve Barbour, or the 50/1.4, 60/2.8 and 90/2 suggested
by Michiel Fokkema) so that I can see what the visual characteristics of the
lenses look like?

Best, Galwaycolin. Email: galwaycolin@xxxxxxxxxxx