[LRflex] Re: Fast, sharp Leica R prime lenses to use with Canon digital

  • From: Charlie Falke <chfalke@xxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2009 19:56:28 -0400

Colin McGuire wrote:
Thanks to all of you for your responses so far!
In terms of budget, I really don't have a set budget. I am looking for the best value to achieve my criteria (which is: fast primes, sharp at wide apertures, w/ beautiful bokeh). I already have a lot of money invested in my Canon lenses, so I would likely not be able to afford brand new Leica lenses. I like Michiel Fokkema's suggestion of buying the models just before the latest... Can anybody tell me what would be a good search term to use when searching the internet for those model-just-before-the-current lenses e.g. do those lenses have the term "R6" or "R7" in their name, or something like that? Also, does anybody know of somewhere (a web gallery, or the like) I could go looking to see examples of shots take by specific lenses (such as the Summilux 80mm 1.4, suggested by Steve Barbour, or the 50/1.4, 60/2.8 and 90/2 suggested by Michiel Fokkema) so that I can see what the visual characteristics of the lenses look like? Best, Galwaycolin. Email: galwaycolin@xxxxxxxxxxx
Colin,
  I can suggest that you look in:
http://gallery.leica-users.org
http://www.northcoastphotos.com/Lympa.htm
http://www.mflenses.com
http://www.flickr.com
http://www.photoethnography.com/equipment.html

Alternatively you can google the types of lenses you are interested in,
and see what comes up.  Unfortunately the many generations of
Leica lenses are not always clear to all users, so sometimes
you are wondering which version works with what.  This is
also very much the case with which versions of what lens
work with what adapter.  If you search the archives of this
list, I believe you will find all the answers you need.
If not sing out, there are folks here who learned the
hard way and are glad to spare other people the pain.
  Additionally, this list has a huge wealth of information
on using Leica glass with various digital options, the
several options that are most often discussed recently being
four thirds, and compact four thirds,  Nikon D-700, and the
Canons you are looking at.
  When you find photos in Flickr, you will see that some
list which versions of the lens were used.  You can
put that text in your search string, or you can double
click on the lens type in the keywords list over
on the right.
  For my own part, I can say that I have an old
180mm APO Telyt R f/3.4, and a 90mm Summicron R f/2, which I
use with an E330, along with a Leicaflex SL and film,
and both of these work wonderfull.  Anything that goes wrong
with a shot with one of them is my fault.
They are both pretty reasonably priced these days. A 180 is for sale on this list at this time, last I looked.
  Welcome to the party, you've come to the right place.

--
Charlie Falke                                         _____      /\
"One test result is worth                        |    |/        `o
 one thousand expert opinions" - Wernher Von Braun   0  N4003M
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" - Albert Einstein