[LRflex] Re: Fall Colours

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 10:36:14 -0500

Hi all,

The reports and subsequent speculation about the R10 has piqued my
interest... something I was resigned against based on earlier information
about the direction of this camera. FF sensor? LARGER than FF sensor?? How
intriguing! I have little to offer in the way of suggestions beyond those
already posted, but I do have a reaction to a comment from a couple of
group participants (not to pick on you, David, but yours is the most
recent in this area).

> Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 07:38:35 -0700
> From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> Chris wrote:
>> As always a detailed, informed and well reasoned response.
>> I can agree with all of your criteria but would add I'd be
>> looking for a good deal of compatibility with existing R lenses.
>> I think that may have been implicit in your response.
>>
>> All the best, Chris B
>
> G'Mornin' Chris!
>
> Yes, a high degree of compatibility with my existing glass is
> paramount.
>
> If we assume that there is to be a mount change, for whatever reason,
> I would expect an adapter of some sort, which will run my existing
> glass in Aperture priority mode (the only mode I ever use - and the
> simplest one with which to make an adapter work). I would not expect
> an adapter to run all modes and features, as it would make an adapter
> too complex and thus, unreliable. But unlike the adapters on my
> Canon's, I would expect the automatic diaphragm to work.

Au contraire, mon ami (sorry, Bille... I couldn't resist even though my
French is quite limited)! I would expect that existing glass would work in
*all* modes of the new camera except AF without modification, just as they
do in the R3-R9 models. There is no acceptable excuse for less!

Although I have previously proclaimed myself as a non-customer for an R10,
that was based largely on two matters, reliability and bulk. While I find
the R9 size less desirable than my R5, basing an R10 on the R9 envelope is
acceptable. That leaves only the issue of reliability. If I am to pay
multiple thousands for a camera body (and, I have done this), it has to
work out of the box and stay working. The experiences of those on the list
who have had to return their cameras because they just stopped working,
and the subsequent fiascos that followed have left me quite gun shy.

Best regards to all,

Neil