[LRflex] Re: FW: Troy Freund Photo: Without the Troy, With the Kids

  • From: Andy Wagner <yxandy2001@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2010 12:45:50 -0700 (PDT)

Troy
I'm planning on making it

------  >--
Regards
YXAndy

________________________________
From: Troy <farmerfreund@xxxxxxxxx>
To: Leica <LeicaReflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thu, April 8, 2010 11:14:15 AM
Subject: [LRflex] FW: Troy Freund Photo: Without the Troy, With the Kids

Troy has forwarded you this email with the following message:
Just released my April newsletter and thought some of you might enjoy it!
Troy

TROY FREUND PHOTO:  WITHOUT THE TROY

This email is best viewed in your web browser. Click the link
below to see it:
http://farmer.createsend5.com/t/r/e/bluiik/l/

Gallery Night:  it's the kids' turn

For the past six weeks, I've been spending time at a nearby MPS
grade school, Story School
[http://www2.milwaukee.k12.wi.us/story/]. ; The staff has been
terribly hospitable, the students enthusiastic when I arrive and
well-behaved when I ask for their attention.  I have been
conducting an artist-in-residency, working with two classrooms
each of 5th, 6th, and 8th graders.  We've been doing some
photo-based projects--exploring our classroom objects in close-up
(5th grade), ourselves as superheroes (6th), and ourselves as old
people (8th).

To celebrate the work the students have been doing, Principal
Ewing has allowed us to take part in the Spring Gallery Night
[http://midwesteditorialphoto.wordpress.com/2010/04/05/spring-2010-gallery-night-milwaukee-wheres-troy/]on
April 16th.  Story School's library will become a gallery space
and will be filled with nearly 180 photographs from the three
grades!  Incredible, I know, and well worth your attention.  If
you're not completely booked up for Gallery Night, please
consider coming to Gallery Night/Story School
[http://midwesteditorialphoto.wordpress.com/2010/04/01/you-know-for-kids/];
we'll be open from 5:30-8:00p.m., with some comments from me at
7:30 p.m.  Come out and show that you support the efforts these
kids are making.

If you can't attend the gallery show, please visit the blogs that
have been constructed for the 6th and 8th graders and leave them
some comments.  They've really done some nice work.  6th
Grade-Heroes in Life [http://www.heroesinlife.wordpress.com] ; 8th
Grade-My Future Self [http://www.myfutureself.wordpress.com]

Artist-in-Residence:  I shouldn't be doing this

and he steps up on his soabox...

I shouldn't be doing an artist-in-residency.  All schools should
have an art teacher, period.  I'm only at Story School because
budgets cuts keep coming and schools have to make cuts
somewhere....art instruction, physical education, and music
always seem to end up getting the short end of the budget stick.

Here in Milwaukee we have TWO non-profits that I'm aware of,
working to fill the art instruction-gap.  Artists Working in
Education [http://www.awe-inc.org] has been active since 1998,
bringing in artist-in-residencies to provide positive art
experiences in MPS schools.  I've been on the board of directors
for nearly six years.

Arts@Large  [http://artsatlargeinc.org]has been around since
2001, engaging in a similar mission, bringing
artist-in-residencies to the students of Milwaukee.  I am doing
the Story School residency with A@L and it has given me such a
greater appreciation for what teachers deal with every day.
Teachers are working their butts off for the kids and they-the
students AND the teachers-need all the support you can share.

Both groups share some core beliefs:  the education of children
is more effective when students get regular art interaction, kids
should have the opportunity to meet and work with professional
artists, and supporting the adult artists in our community makes
for a more vibrant city.  PLEASE consider supporting these
organizations.

Kids matter and therefore art education matters.
[http://artsedge.kennedy-center.org/content/3270/]

*All the featured photos this month were made by the students
I've been working with.

This past month Troy has made photos for:

-Silk by Laura [http://www.silkbylaura.com/]

-TerraSource Chocolate [http://www.terrasourcechocolates.com/]

and  -Kangaroo Pita [http://kangaroobrands.com/]

-Mystery link [http://artsboard.wisconsin.gov/]