[LRflex] Re: Erwin Puts on the DM-R

  • From: "Neil Gould" <neil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 08:44:22 -0500

Recently, you wrote:

> From: "David Young" <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
>
> An interesting and thoughtful take on the subject....
>
> http://www.imx.nl/photosite/leica/digital/DMR/ddmr.html

Indeed. I was glad to see that Puts constructed valid test procedures and
covered the issues in an objective way. I remain skeptical about the
hybrid approach that Leica has chosen for the DMR, even if some of the
criticisms that Puts put forth are somewhat questionable; the brightness
of the viewfinder in a dSLR is typically determined in the same way as for
an SLR, nor will the image on the display be the same as in the
viewfinder. These are accepted limitations for those preferring the dSLR
approach to the EVF approach.

The article's most damning comments seem to be the state and rate of
development at Leica. One can't start a race several laps behind the
leaders in a slower vehicle and expect to be competitive. There is almost
no chance that Leica will produce a digital product that is competitive
with the best available products. As there is at least the appearance of
collaboration with Panasonic through the Lumix line of cameras, I don't
understand why Leica doesn't fully partner with that company to produce a
digital body that accepts R lenses.

Thanks for presenting this page! BTW - I noticed that links to Puts' other
pages appear to be broken. Is that your experience as well?

Regards,

Neil