[LRflex] Enough whining about DMR Support

  • From: Thomas Schofield <tdschofield@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 09:37:14 -0800 (PST)

Hi Neil,

I am a DMR owner, have only used it very briefly with
v.1.1 and mostly v.1.2.  The 4gb cards work with 1.2
and didn't with 1.1.  The only other digitals I have
owned are some P&S's.  If I didn't read these lists I
would never know there were issues to complain about!

Sure, any aspect of any camera system that involves
time could be "faster."  High ISO noise is better than
high ISO film's grain, so one can only whine through
comparison that "xyz's is even better."  And available
light color photography is a revolution since you can
simply white balance, and not have to worry about
orange indoor pics like with film.  (Sure there are
Tungsten films, but none of them are fast enough for
available light -- slow tungsten balanced color film
is an oxymoron if you ask me!)  I have not noticed the
alleged issue with colors not properly displaying on
the lcd panel on replay in v.1.2.

My only complaint was the camera locking up when I
hadn't recharged the batteries before taking it out
shooting.  It wouldn't have enough ooomph to wind the
shutter completely, so the camera would lock up.  I
thought I was going to have to send it in until I
tried taking the DMR back off, advancing the shutter
manually by either turning the film sprocket wheels or
the wind lever, which reset the camera -- I bought a
third battery and have gotten to be more anal about
charging the batteries.  Oh yeah, and in general,
trying to focus an slr in low light after you're used
to shooting avaiable light with an M.  And the 8gb
SDHC I picked up at Fry's didn't work with it.  Those
are my only "complaints."

Color purity is fantastic.  Even the teenager waid
"wow" after I first got the DMR.  Big cards mean a
full day of shooting without carrying film.  No more
having to carry a variety of film types for different
conditions, or a second camera for b&w.  Easy airport
security checks.  I can let the teenager copy the
files onto her PC and she doesn't ransack my prints
and negs anymore.

Not that I am giving up on film - I just bought an
ATL2 on 'bay for $400 so I can process negs at home
more lazily.

Sorry for the rant, but I am frustrated today with a
whinig neighbor.
The only reason I restarted the v.1.3 issue was in
wondering whether I should return the 8gb SDHC card I
bought at Fry's that didn't work with v.1.2.  Sorry,
everyone.

Tom Schofield