[LRflex] Re: Elks and third cams...

  • From: David Young <telyt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 07:38:16 -0700

Keith Longmore wrote:

Hi David
I like the shot of the elk; if it was mine, I would crop some off the right side, but it's a good stance, isn't it?

I agree ... the current cropping keeps the "classic" 2:3 format. However, I could keep the same height, while reducing the width, by using the 4:5 ratio (8x10" print instead of an 8x12" one). I'll give it a try. Thanks fro the idea.

BTW: 'elk' over here means something a bit different - you call them moose! So I was a little surprised. Is yours what we know as a caribou..?

I believe what we call Caribou is what you call a Reindeer. To us, a Moose has a broad, flat-ish, almost solid "hat rack". Our Caribou are smaller than the Wapiti (Elk) and their "hat racks" sweep much further back. Especially so with the Woodland Caribou.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elk for Elk.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reindeer for Caribou (Reindeer).
See: http://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moose  for Moose.

Although a better idea of the solid nature of the Moose antlers can be seen in the drawings and photos at http://www.saskschools.ca/~gregory/animals/moose.html

We saw a giant shape by the side of the road in Sweden some years ago, screeched to a stop, and I found myself filming a moose. I wouldn't want to meet one on a dark night!! Quite a lot of collisions with moose in Sweden; at night, your headlights go under the body, so you tend not to see the moose until it's too late. The car knocks its legs from under it, and half a ton of body comes through the windscreen.....

Happens a lot here, too. Moose collisions are almost 70% fatal for the occupants of the car and 100% fatal for the Moose. We have good friends who survived a collision with a moose (our moose) but 7 years later, Grant is still in constant pain and there is nothing more the medics can do for him. One reason that these collisions occur is that, unlike deer, the eyes of the moose are non-reflecting, so you don't see them whilst driving at night, even if they look at you!

Third cams
I now have a full complement of properly working lenses! I made a third cam for the 80-200 - the one that the Leica guy told me couldn't be done - and, since I hadn't received the bits at that point, made another for the 250. Both worked fine. The bits came from Leica next day, so I left the camera and 80-200 to be tested, fitted the Leica bits, and took the 250 back next day. Guess what? It no longer worked! :-( There was a gap between the third and second cams (even though the third cam was fitted correctly) so I borrowed some tools, took it to bits in the shop, bent the third cam a bit, reassembled it, and it then worked. Both lenses proved to meter to within 0.2 of a stop. So I'm well pleased. Just wish I hadn't bothered buying the (expensive) Leica parts. Not only that, but the bits they provided for the 250/4 were labelled 80-200 Vario Elmar! So the story that it couldn't be done was rubbished by Leica themselves!! :-! Can't say I'm very impressed.....

Which 80~200 do you have? The f4 was only made in 3 cam for a very short while (about 4 months, I'm told) and then production was converted to the ROM + 3rd cam format. Leica maintain that this lens cannot be converted from ROM + 3rd Cam to 3-Cam, but Doug Herr has done it - saying it's relatively straight forward.

Anyway, thankful that you have them all properly running!