[LRflex] Eagles at Otter Bay Ferry Terminal

  • From: H&E Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 20:59:40 -0700

Hi Flexers,
I have not posted pictures to the LUG for a few weeks - grand parenting duties
with Aubrey, aka "Hank the Tank", and
several house guests have kept me and Esther extra busy.Still, the pictures
have been accumulating
and I thought I would open a new Eagle 2014 Folder to show a few of my better
ones.
These were all taken with the Nikon D800E and the 80 - 400 VR zoom lens - hand
held -
processed in CS 6. Last week we have a fellow photographer visiting and I took
him
down to the Otter Bay ferry terminal to feed and photograph the eagles. The
birds' reaction
was unusual. They came when whistled for, but they only circled the salmon
strips and
did not swoop in to snatch them up. The only variable from the ordinary was the
presence of my visitor and I guess his being there made the eagles more
cautious.
The circling made for some fine photo opportunities.

First an eagle fly by over water:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Eagles2014/1410.jpg.html>

and then against the forest background:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Eagles2014/1310.jpg.html>

Flying in to inspect the salmon strips:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Eagles2014/1146.jpg.html>

Turning just over my head:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Eagles2014/_DSC1172.jpg.html>

And swooshing by:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Howard+Cummer/Eagles2014/_DSC1175.jpg.html>

For the last two photos I racked the lens back to 185mm but it wasn't far enough
to have the full body of the eagle in the frame. These last two photos are full
frame - no cropping.

I have just taken delivery of a used, but not abused, Nikon D4 body and I hope
that
my focus success rate will go up with this 10fps pro body compared to the 5fps
D800E.

Stay tuned.

Howard (on hot sunny dry Pender Island).------