[LRFlex] Doing it the hard way...

  • From: David Young <dnr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 09:32:25 -0700

All:

At the LHSA's recent Spring Shoot, I had the opportunity to borrow, from Leica, the 28mm/f2.8 Super-Angulon PC. I'd read of Perspective Control lenses, but had never used, nor even seen one! Let me tell you, they're fun toys!

I decided that the LHSA's "Viewfinder" magazine needed a short review of it, but when I went to photograph the 28mm SA-PC for the article, I discovered that I did not have the correct equipment for the job.

The 90 Summicron with extension tubes got too close to get it all in. The Nikon 6T double element close-up lens on the 80~200 f4 Vario-Elmar had the same problem. In fact, every lens combination I tried came up short!

My old 180 Elmar-R, with the tubes would have been perfect, but I sold that to a fellow list member about a year ago. :-(

Finally, I ended up using the 14134 extension tubes with the 400mm/f6.8! This combination gives about 12 feet working distance! (Camera sat on end of our deck, subject lens at the other!) No problem with the equipment casting shadows on the subject here. :)

Because of the focal length, use of f16 and a very slow shutter was needed despite the use of ISO400 film and bright sunlight. The R8?s mirror pre-fire and a cable release both proved very handy!

Throughout the exercise my wife, Rose, and fellow LRFlex member Alex Hurst, were rolling on the floor with laughter. But, hey... it did the job! What more is there to say?

David Young,     | égalité, liberté,
Victoria, CANADA | fraternité et Beaujolais.

Personal Web-site at:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr
Leica Reflex Forum web-page:
        http://www.horizon.bc.ca/~dnr/lrflex.htm