[LRflex] Re: Does Re-formating An SD card Between Two Different Cameras Degrade The Card

  • From: "Aram Langhans" <leica_r8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2020 16:42:19 -0800

Hi Peter. I am not sure the answers you have received really answer your question. All SSD devices have a limited write cycle life span. Every time you write to one of them, it shortens the lifespan. Not when you read from them. So, yes, formatting and indeed using the card shortens its lifespan, but that lifespan is considerable, so I don't think you will ever see the end of the lifespan effected by the number of write/format cycles you subject it to. It will probably outlive you by a generation or so. Of course, there are other ways it can fail, both mechanical and electromagnetic abuse. They are rather flimsy little buggers, aren't they? I am always afraid I will snap one in two if I push it too hard into my laptop. Or if I forget it is in there as it sticks out the side a bit and could easily catch on something and possibly snap.

I do agree that if you format it in the camera you are using, you will have less problems than trying to format it on a computer.

So, shoot away, format away, and have fun.

-----Original Message----- From: Peter Stevens (Redacted sender "fritzj3" for DMARC)
Sent: Sunday, February 09, 2020 11:56 AM
To: Leicareflex Photo Group
Subject: [LRflex] Does Re-formating An SD card Between Two Different Cameras Degrade The Card

Hi. Technical question for y’all. Can a person use one specific individual SD card in multiple camera brands? If you have an SD card being used in one camera body, say an Olympus, and you take that card out of the Oly and install it in say a Panasonic and re-format in the Panasonic, does the card suffer any degradation in performance or capacity? Can you then go back to the Oly and re-format in the Oly without harm? Thanks.

Best regards,
Peter S.------
Unsubscribe or change to/from Digest Mode at:
  http://lrflex.furnfeather.ca/
Archives are at:

https://www.avg.com