[LRflex] Re: Discovering the Digital world with NeatImage.com

  • From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp@xxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 01:15:23 +0100

Nice shot Xavier, very nice indeed, where was it taken?.

Are you using advanced or standard mode in NeatImage?

It will probably take a few weeks to get used to all the possibilities
available in the advanced mode, I've had Neat Image for 2 years now and
I'm still learning what all the options do. I do find that for
sharpening in advanced mode I usually set the high frequency slider at
around 100, mid at 40 and low at 15 on the Y (luminance) channel, this
works better than when you set the option RGB, check the results on
something with edges, when they get too bright then reduce each slider
until the edges look ok, starting with the lowest frequency first..
Default mode tends to oversmooth (remove too much noise) a little so
play around with the noise amount sliders and reduce the levels until
everything looks "realistic".
What you say about digital and film is close to what I've experienced -
for film you have to develop a slightly different approach, the
automatic profile needs a lot more fine tuning and a delicate touch to
get it right, I'll look for a couple of examples when I've time and post
them.
Glad to hear you like it.
Douglas