[LRflex] Digital vs. Optical Focus

  • From: rsphotoimages@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 14:41:49 +0000

We've seen articles about a camera, based on a Contax 645 that takes the same
image with stepped depth of field.  Create a lot of interesting options in post
processing.

Also creates a huge file for each image.

Digital now has a mind of it's own.  We don't know for sure where it's going,
but it will go places we may not have anticipated.

This reminds me of the Stereo Speaker product migration.  First we had really
big pairs of speakers based on dimensions calculated to optimized performance
and efficiency.

Amplifiers were tube-driven, relatiely low power.  I own a pair of Klilpschorn
corner horns.  The orignal Klipsh design was from 1943.  They utillize horns
weigh 167 pounds each and have a tiny crossover network.  They are remarkable
in that they can run on less than 1 watt.

Fast forward to today's speakers, comprised of composite drivers, ribbon
tweeters, subwoofers, complex crossover networks, damping filters and very big
amplifiers.

Example: for my Home Theater I use KEF Reference speakers for front stereo and
center and Definitive BP-10s for surround, each with more complex (and
certainly not the latest) technology to support DTS and Dolby 5.1.

But they are smaller and fit in most rooms better.

I see a parallel with Film Cameras and pure optical focus, DOF and zoom.  We
can't help ourselves when it comes to developing bigger better faster stuff.

I still prefer my R8 and 9, and my contax T2.  But what do you think about this
in terms of where digital is lilely to go?

Bob