[LRFlex] Re: Digital camera while waiting for Leica

  • From: "Bille Xavier F." <hot_billexf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 08:04:51 +0000

Hello Gary,

I'd like to follow you on this path but the fact that the optics for the digital are somehow different from the traditionnal.

Buying a Digital is like buying a computer, resale value is about 1/5th of the price, at best.

In Paris, we have a few shops who are selling second hand DIgital, the other day they had a Panasonic with Leica Glass. It was a good bargain.

I'd probably buy the Lumix with the glass Leica, it has a big zoom, enough to cover most applications and the captor, (Philips or Toshiba?) seems quite good.

Another choice would be the Contax offer. Optics are good and the signal processor is fast and reliable. Zeiss is a good alternative if you need not the Leica name on your device.

FWIW.

---------------------------------
Xavier F. BILLE
Maisons-Alfort - France.

From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [LRFlex] Digital camera while waiting for Leica Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:46:21 -0700

I'm needing digital capture for work *now* and am wondering how other Leica
users have transitioned. The R8/9 digital back still won't be out for a few
months and may have startup problems anyway. In the meantime, a client would
like digital for a few book covers and the shoot will more than cover the
cost of some type of "prosumer" SLR. I'm leaning toward the Nikon D70. Would
love to use my Leica glass, but need to get digital direct capture going
soon. As usual, Leica is not just months late out of the starting gate, but
*years* late!

My current digital workflow is to shoot film on Leica or Hasselblad and scan
with an Imacon Flextight Photo (6x6cm film gives 135mb files at full
resolution). What have you used that has given reasonable quality in a
D-SLR?

Thanks,
Gary T

Gary Todoroff