[LRflex] Re: Digital Workflow - How Do You Cope?

  • From: David Young <dsy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 08:16:42 -0800

Good Morning, Miha!

You wrote:

Great tips!

:-)

David, your contact sheet idea is great. Will start to print my own. Lightroom (mentioned by Philippe) seems great tool too! It`s popular among photographers (so I read on forums) and It`s on my shopping list. And as Doug said, we (he) spend(s) much more time with each photo on the computer. And I HATE that. I wish CCD/CMOS sensors were more clever.

Rose and I enjoyed dinner, last night, at the home of a photographer-friend who started with Silkypix, but now uses LightRoom. Interestingly, he said that although he likes LightRoom, every now and again he comes across a shot which will not develop quite right, in LightRoom. (I believe they are shots with a large contrast ratio. such as Porcupines walking on snow.) For those pictures, he reverts to Silkypix and they develop just fine. Curious!

And as a side note, backups on DVDs or external drivers wont last forever (well nothing does). And reading a DVD after 10 years is very questionable. Even if the DVD itself holds, the format (and the software to read) might be well forgotten in 10 years (do you still remember floppy disk ;-)))

You are right, DVD's are a problem ... but then, so are hard drives. I date each DVD I write, with the month/year it is written. The intention is to copy each DVD to HD and then rewrite it to a new DVD (or whatever newer storage medium is out, by then), approximately every 4 years. (I plan on 4 years, so that when I run behind schedule, they're still done every 5 years.) A lot of work, but a necessary evil.

I know people who purchase external hard drives, and back-up to them. However, I also know at least one of them who has found the drive no-good, when remounted.

I prefer DVDs because if one goes bad, I might lose 250 exposures. And with two additional backup DVDs, I might still manage to recover my shots from one of these. If you back up to a HD, and it fails, you can easily lose 1, 2 or more years of photos (depending on the size of the drive and the number of shots you make) and it is unlikely that you will have them on a second, external HD, if only because of the cost.

When using DVDs, always (a) store them in the dark (continuous exposure to light is damaging to the organic dyes which hold the data) and (b) always buy top quality discs. Cheap discs can lose their data in as little as 1 to 2 years! I've had consistently good results with FujiFilm DVDs (No, I do not own any Fuji stock!), but I'm sure the discs sold under any major brand would be fine. But stay away the many cheaper, "no name" blank DVDs. It is likely that you are buying trouble!

Also, I never record a DVD at anything more than 3/4 the max speed that my burning program says I can safely use. This avoids burning "coasters".

Lastly, always handle your discs with care. A dropped DVD should be recopied to a fresh one, immediately! The reason is that your precious photos are held in a thin layer of organic dyes. Dropping can make microscopic cracks which cannot be seen, but will, over time, allow air into the dye layer, which then destroys the dyes and your photos. This is, of course, also the reason why DVDs don't last 100 years... for eventually air moves through the protective plastic layers ,by osmosis, damaging the dyes and your data.

Glad you like the "contact sheet" idea. Over the years I have tried many systems to organize my negatives and digital images. This simple system is, by far, the fastest, easiest I've ever found, for locating digital images. Our photographer friend & his wife are coming over, tomorrow evening, to get a full lesson in how to do it!