[LRflex] Re: Digital APO correction in our futures?

  • From: William Abbott <wbabbott3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:20:54 -0700

Bob, Andrew-

Thank you both for your kind replies to my remarks about the
Hasselblad Digital APO Correction (DAC) .

As Andrew pointed out, I am indeed behind the times in this area, and
need to do some digging, on which I will gladly embark. I always seem
to have a lot to learn; it is a fact of my  life.

I tend to divide photography into what happens before the shutter
clicks and what happens afterwards, and those now come in two
flavors, analog and digital.

What intrigues me is the progression of digital technology from post-
click, off-camera processing (digital manipulation of raw files,
Photoshop, etc.) upstream into the camera itself, to account for lens
vignetting, for example, and now lens CA, in real time, as the data
stream moves from the sensor to the digital file.

The ability to alter, in that moment, what has heretofore been
unalterable, seems to me to be a technological marvel of great
promise, especially if it can become adaptive, i.e., the specific
alteration is dependent on the environment in which the image is
being recorded, becoming similar to adaptive aircraft flight
controls, which alter their behavior according to the flight regime
in which the aircraft is operating.

So thank you both very much for helping me understand this subject
more clearly. Bob, I'm not familiar with "DX/O" and will appreciate a
lead to where I can learn more.

With all best wishes,

Bill