[LRflex] Digilux 3 User reports

  • From: Howard Cummer <cummer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 17:04:04 +0800

Hello Bob,
The Digilux 3 is, I expect you already know,  physically a re-badged
Panasonic L1 which is based on the Olympus 330 E. I have an L1
(bought for the Leica 14 - 50 D Vario Elmarit which came with the
body) but I use the lens mostly on my Oly 330E. The software in the
Digi 3 "may" be somewhat different from the software in the L1 and
the 330E, but handling of the "3" and the "1" will be the same. I
prefer the software of the L1 in terms of colour over the Oly 330E -
it's punchier - more contrast - but I prefer the handling of the Oly
because of its extra live view feature (mirror down - but with live
view from an extra sensor in the finder) and, of course, the moveable
LCD screen on the back (the L1 / Digi 3 have a fixed screen and live
view only with mirror up). I think you will get some sense of the use
of all the various iterations of this camera by visiting, if you
haven't already done so, Gary Todoroff's site:
<http://www.northcoastphotos.com/Lympa.htm>
One user note  - if you use Oly or other 4/3rd lenses (which have no
aperture rings) on the L1 / Digi 3 body, the ISO will default to 100
every time the camera is shut off or goes into sleep mode. This is
very annoying in the heat of picture taking and needs to be corrected
in the next firmware update. A partial fix is to hold down the
function 1 button on the L1/Digi 3 and use the thumb wheel on the
rear of the camera to set the Oly lens to "F A" as shown in the upper
left of the rear screen. Then, with the camera shutter speed dial set
at  "A" Program, when the camera sleeps or is shut off, at least Auto
ISO is activated which gives ISO speeds up to 400. That is better
than ISO 100 but still not a perfect solution. I hope the firmware
fix is available soon and allows the auto ISO to be expanded to at
least ISO 800 as well as retaining manually input ISO settings. The
Olympus 330E does not behave like this - it retains settings when
shut off or in sleep mode.
Cheers
Howard
(in cool Hong Kong today)