[LRflex] Re: Digilux 3

  • From: Gary Todoroff <datamaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leicareflex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 11:39:59 -0700

>   I have noticed several others using the Olympus and was hoping
> someone would chime in with some details.
>
>   Ed.

Biggest problem with the DIgilux, Ed -- it has only one Live View
mode, equal to Mode B on the Olympus E-330. Mode B uses the internal
capture CCD to project the image to the Live View LCD, with the
mirror locked up. When the shutter is pressed, there is a delay of at
least a half second while the mirror pops back down, exposure is
measured, mirror goes back up and the exposure is made. Mode B is
fine for macro photography or other subjects that are fairly
stationary - see a description of useful Mode B at:
http://northcoastphotos.com/Lympa_2006_04_12.htm

However, for useful Live View, you need the Olympus Mode A, which
captures the image on a second internal CCD and projects that to the
Live View LCD. Shutter lag in Mode A is never a problem. The E-330
also provides a tilt-screen for Live View, which I would never go
without. Perhaps 80+ percent of my photos are taken with the E330
optical VF, but the tiltable Live View in Mode A has afforded more
unique photo opportunities than I would have ever imagined.

The Digilux has neither Live View Mode A nor a tiltable Live View
screen. Case closed.

I'm still amazed that the E330 has been out for over a year now as
the flagship of the digital SLR revolution, yet no other DSLR has
come close to its Live View capabilities. Even with more pixels and
image stabilization, the new Olympus E-510 does not have the tiltable screen.

Lest anyone think that this is too technical and all you want to do
is press the shutter, that is ultimately my goal, too. The Olympus
E-330 just happens to let me click that button more creatively than
any other camera I have ever used.

Gary Todoroff

P.S. - just as proof that I DO use the optical finder, check out the
front page aerial photo of today's local paper at:
http://www.eurekareporter.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?ArticleID=24333
Aerial photography is rarely the place to use Live View, although LV
did come in handy inside the helicopter for some great shots of the
local TV reporter with her video camera, looking pretty in Coast
Guard flight suit and helmet!